Back2Tap is a company committed to helping others and preserving the environment. While we are encouraging people to go Back2Tap, we realize that in many parts of the world, the lack of clean water is a devastating problem. About 4,000 children die every day (one every 8 seconds) because of water-borne diseases such as diarrhea, cholera, dysentery, typhoid, hepatitis and malaria. In addition, children, especially girls, are often kept out of school when the family needs to go long distances to get clean water which prevents entire communities from developing out of severe poverty.
In order to support clean water, Back2Tap is encouraging people to join the clean water effort with CharityWater, and organization committed to providing clean drinking water and sanitation to those areas most in need. Clean water has a profound effect on communities, families and particularly growing children. For more information on CharityWater, visit their website at www.charitywater.org .
The statistics are staggering:
- About 1.2 billion people globally lack safe water to consume.
- About 2.6 billion people do not have access to adequate sanitation.
- Women and children in water-stressed countries walk three to six miles every day just to collect water for their families. This prevents them from otherwise pursuing an education, maintaining their households or earning additional income.
- More than half of the hospital beds in the developing world are occupied by people suffering from preventable diseases caused by unsafe water and inadequate sanitation.
- Dirty water poses a greater threat to human life than war or terrorism.
Meeting the U.N. Millenium Development Goal of reducing by half the percentage of people without access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation by 2015 would cost about $4 billion a year for 10 years. That amount represents just one month's spending on bottled mineral water in Europe & US.